Stuart Smolen’s practice focuses on all aspects of intellectual property and technology, including counseling, structuring and negotiating complex deals, product support, patent procurement and strategy, litigation, privacy, and open source software, in industries as diverse as networking, data centers, medical devices, eCommerce, cloud computing, Internet and others.
Named a Corporate IP Star of 2017, Stuart is able to leverage his more than 20 years of experience in both corporate legal departments and private practice to provide strategic counseling to his clients in all aspects of IP related business issues, including helping companies of all sizes develop processes for inbound and outbound licensing, patent programs, and open-source software.
Prior to moving to Silicon Valley, Stuart received a BS, magna cum laude, from SUNY at Stony Brook, where he was Phi Beta Kappa. He received an MS and MPhil in physics from Yale University and received a JD from Columbia University School of Law, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar.
He is a former law clerk to the Honorable S. Jay Plager of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in Washington, DC. He is a member of the bar in California and Virginia, and is registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Representative Matters Include:
- Domestic and international matters involving inbound and outbound licensing
- Technology development, procurement and distribution agreements (software and hardware)
- Joint development, strategic alliances and collaboration agreements
- Patent licenses
- Big data analytics
- Software and SaaS transactions
- Cloud computing
- Data security and privacy counseling
- Strategic counseling and dispute resolution
- Open source software compliance